Expert valuation services for tax professionals
Valuation Consulting’s services to tax professionals
Credible and professional independent valuation is an important component of tax planning and compliance. We have many years’ experience in working with clients and their advisers on tax related valuations.
Valuation Consulting is dedicated to independent valuation and is recognised both in the UK and internationally as the leading independent valuer of businesses, companies and intellectual property (IP).
We have unrivalled expertise in providing valuation services to the accountancy profession and to tax advisors, especially where they are conflicted, require expert opinion or specialist expertise in valuing IP. Three of our senior directors are qualified Chartered Accountants and have trained with the highest ranked accountancy firms. Two of our other directors were at a senior level in the HMRC valuation team. Four of our directors have appeared in court resulting generally in successful outcomes for our clients. Most of our directors are Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) Chartered Valuation Surveyors and Registered Business Valuers.
In the context of litigation our opinions have weight. The cases that we have worked on include inter alia false accounting and fraud, shareholder disputes, divorce, buy-outs and minority oppression. This expertise has been recognised by the legal profession and judiciary. We have often been complimented in Judgements. We have received instructions from the US Inland Revenue Service UK, HMRC Solicitors Office, appeared in Special Commissioner Hearings and valued the Disney characters for US tax reasons.
How Valuation Consulting can help
- Valuation Consulting’s experienced directors can value businesses and companies to inform the advice of accountants, assisting in negotiations and facilitating favourable settlements with HMRC and other tax authorities and in other negotiations and disputes
- We can provide expert opinion on valuation and royalty rates in licensing and litigation matters in reports for our clients, accountants, tax advisors and for the Courts
- We are frequently used by tax accountants and lawyers to carry out valuations which will be used for general tax purposes and transfer pricing, to ensure compliance, provide opinion on previous valuations by tax professionals and tax authorities and to support tax planning proposals
- Our valuations are a key part of many successful employee incentive schemes, where regular tax valuation is often required
- We can value the IP in businesses and with legal advisers and/or our business partners advise on how this IP can be structured, registered, patented and secured. IP valuation is a particular specialism of Valuation Consulting. We value patents, brands, trademarks, copyrights, image rights, web-domains, customer databases and other IP and intangible assets and advise on royalty rates often for tax purposes
- IP valuations for pension fund transfers in or extraction are a particular speciality and can reduce the risk of any unapproved pension transfers arising from incorrect valuations of IP
- We are particularly experienced in valuing IP rich start-ups or early stage development companies (and their IP) looking to raise finance or equity. Our expertise covers bio-pharmaceuticals, green energy, information technology, e commerce, health, sport and education. Frequently the IP is structured separately and requires a separate IP valuation for tax purposes
- Access to research, including extensive data on royalty rates and transactions
- Considerable experience of dealing with tax authorities including HMRC and the IRS
- Demonstrable experience and expertise
- Informing and improving negotiating positions with tax authorities
- Affordable and practical with fixed price quotes for our reports
- Independent and conflict free – Valuation Consulting is only in the business of valuation consulting and does carry out or compete for general accounting, legal and tax work
And for tax advisors (or their clients) seeking to incorporate, refinance or restructure
- Valuations and advice on business plans and Information Memorandums will assist in obtaining funding. Importantly these valuations are objective and independent
- Access to pension funds through transfer of IP. We have expertise in valuing IP which can then be transferred at market value to pension funds or provided as security thus enabling firms access to funding from their pension funds. Our valuations reduce the risk of unapproved transfer penalties
- With many Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs) looking to incorporate for tax reasons or otherwise, an independent valuation will be a key requirement of the process
Valuation Consulting has a deep and wide network of professional contacts including patent attorneys, lawyers, accountants, IP analysers, financiers and specialist consultants.